USING ADAPTIVE GRAZING MANAGEMENT TO IMPROVE SOIL HEALTH
September 28 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm$30.00
Pasture/Soil Health Field Day in Greene County, Missouri to discuss soil health on grasslands. Ways to improve soil health through grazing management, proper stocking rate, understanding the grass plant. Demonstrations on rainfall simulator and soil infiltration rate.
9:00 Welcome and Introductions – Diana Sheridan, NRCS District Conservationist, Springfield, MO
9:15 Overview of Host Farm – Mike Coale, Greene County Producer, Ash Grove, MO
9:30 Soil Health Demonstrations
- Rainfall Simulator – Drexel Atkisson, NRCS Area Regional Soil Health Specialist, Springfield, MO
- Soil Health Demonstrations – Doug Peterson, Regional Soil Health Specialist, Iowa/Missouri. NRCS National Soil Health Division, Des Moines, IA
11:00 Haney Soil Health Test – Drexel Atkisson/ Doug Peterson
12:15 -3:30 Concurrent Sessions
- Break group into 4 subgroups, Rotate every 40 minutes
Station I – Pasture/Forest Soil Ecosystems – Drexel Atkisson NRCS Area Soil Health Specialist, Springfield, MO
- Hands-on demonstration/discussion on soil health factors in pasture vs forestland.
Station II – Pasture Allocation Exercise – Doug Peterson, Regional Soil Health Specialist, Iowa/Missouri. NRCS National Soil Health Division, Des Moines, IA
- Hands-on demonstration/discussion on calculating/estimating how much forage is available for the livestock, what residual should be left and how this affects soil health.
Station Ill – The Grass Plant – Mark Green, Lead Resource Conservationist, NRCS, Springfield, MO.
- How the plant grows and responds to grazing. Growing points. Root system. How plant canopy affects soil temperature.
Station IV- Soil Infiltration Exercise – Luke Skinner, NRCS Area Soil Health Specialist, St. Joseph, MO
- Hands-on exercise on water infiltration under various grassland management scenarios.
3:30 OPTIONAL PASTURE WALK – Mike Coale Farm (Host Farm)
For those interested in sticking around, we will walk Mike’s paddock system to see plant diversity, electric fencing system and watering system.