You are here:  Home  >  Money Matters  >  Current Article

Movable Shade to Go With Your Movable Fencing and Water

By   /  May 16, 2016  /  9 Comments

What does the lack of shade cost you? Probably 20% in weight gain and 20 to 30% less milk production

Publisher, Editor and Author

Kathy worked with the Bureau of Land Management for 12 years before founding Livestock for Landscapes in 2004. Her twelve years at the agency allowed her to pursue her goal of helping communities find ways to live profitably AND sustainably in their environment. She has been researching and working with livestock as a land management tool for over a decade. When she's not helping farmers, ranchers and land managers on-site, she writes articles, and books, and edits videos to help others turn their livestock into landscape managers.

1. bill elkins says:

My cows and I have used this mobile shader for 2 summers with great satisfaction. It also provides opportunity to experiment over-seeding spots (my hand, their hooves))with new forage seeds to see if they’ll grow.

2. Oogie McGuire says:

I’ve looked into that, I would love one, with an all black sheep breed we require shade. Unfortunately it cannot withstand our winds here. We have the same problem with most chicken tractor designs too, they blow over. Does anyone have a moveable shade system that will tolerate 60-90 mph winds? I need one that will work for a small breed of sheep (so close to the ground) and for chickens.

• Kathy Voth says:

Oogie, where do you live? Does the wind always blow that hard or is it periodic so you could temporarily remove or close a shade structure and then deploy it again when the winds die down? Just trying to get a handle on your needs so I can look around. 🙂

• Oogie McGuire says:

Western Colorado. We are on the edge of a mesa, we get winds daily, down valley in the evening, up valley at night. Peak winds can be 60+ mph gusts. We are not always here to remove a shade & we can get thunderstorms rolling in. Typical wind speeds are up to 30mph or so nearly every day. Lots of data here at our weather station site http://www.garvinmesaweather.com I’ve been considering some sort of trailer we pull with the tractor that is tall enough for the sheep to walk under but heavy enough not to flip over. Haven’t found anything suitable yet.

• Vince Hundt says:

I am one of the 3 people that designed and build the Shade Haven. We have over 60 in use from California to New York and absolutely zero have blown over in the wind. This was not a design that was dreamed up in the garage with a 6pack of beer. State of the art computer software correctly predicted that this structure can take winds of 60 mph and we have seen it and it does not move.

• OogieM says:

When I called the company and asked for infoI was told that it could not withstand our design requirements here which is for up to 90 mph winds. That is what all our solar panel installations, barns and houses must meet. Is that incorrect?

• Vince Hundt says:

Well 90 is quite a bit more than 60.
            I have not heard of any of our structures being exposed to anything over 60 and if winds that strong are anticipated it should be closed.
            We could design in the capability of the Shade Haven to be closed remotely. In fact, it could close automatically when winds exceed a pre-determined speed. But all these things increase cost and complexity.

• OogieM says:

Whenever I’ve asked here about wind engineering the standards are either less than 60mph or 60-90mph. We get thunderstorms, they can blow up in a moment and be done before you even have time to do anything and we can get one on our mesa but the town less than a mile away will be sunny and dry. I would like to look at the system again and will go get some more info. Perhaps a model that is shorter to the ground would help? Or one that has some outrigger posts, perhaps pound in T-posts? that might help keep it on the ground.

• Vince says:

If your primary application is sheep we could build one that would be closer to the ground.
            But I am afraid wind over 60 is more than we want to deal with.

Business Planning Without Killing Your Dreams