- This event has passed.
Whole Farm/Ranch Business Planning – Colorado 2017
October 27 @ 9:00 am - November 11 @ 4:30 pm
Mount Lookout Grange Hall in Mancos, Colorado
October 27-28 | November 3-4 | November 10-11, 2017
9 am – 4:30 pm each day
Let’s get down to business! While many folks are attracted to farming and ranching because of their love of the land or their desire to do truly meaningful work, farming and ranching is still a business. At HMI we know that to create a sustainable, healthy agricultural enterprise, you need to run it like a business. We’ve created this course to give both new and experienced farmers and ranchers the knowledge and tools they need to do just that. While many of our other programs teach both business and production techniques, this one will focus on the business side of your operation. Because agriculture isn’t just your passion, it’s your livelihood!
Our six-day course is taught over approximately 6 weeks in 1 or 2-day increments, so you’ll have plenty of time to start applying what you’ve learned while you’re still enrolled in the course. Each day starts at 9 am and ends at 5 pm. There will be plenty of time to network with other ranchers and get feedback on your coursework.
What to Expect
This in-depth course is designed to help both new and experienced farmers and ranchers learn key business, marketing and financial planning skills including:
- Creating a business that WORKS for YOU based on your whole farm/ranch goal
- Testing your ideas, exploring possibilities and examining feasibility
- Learning to plan a profit, not just hope for one
- Becoming a master of money management, budgeting and planning
- Understanding what your value is to customers is and how to market your business
- Establishing your best pricing, positioning & promotion strategies
- Generating a triple bottom line – human, financial, environmental
- Addressing organizational, legal & risk management needs
- Networking and learning from others like yourself
- Gaining access to valuable resources & people
- Developing a plan for starting, marketing, growing or exiting your business
Due to grant funding, the cost for this program (valued at $800) is being offered at $300 per person, $150 per second person from the same farm or ranch. Register soon, as we have limited space.
A limited number of full scholarships are available, bringing the registration cost down to zero. If you’d like to be considered for a scholarship, fill out the Scholarship Application and return to the email address on the form.
Scholarship deadline: October 17, 2017
Registration deadline: October 20, 2017