Years ago, I heard this one, from a really neat guy named Bill Stout. This story was from when he was a kid.
He and his cousins were messing around at their grandparents’ farm, and his cousin convinced him to pee on the fence. It won’t hurt, she promised him. Since Bill was a good guy, and up for a challenge, he did it. It hurt. A lot, as you might guess. But, Bill was also a really smart guy. So he wasn’t going to let it go, and he managed to convince his cousin that it really hadn’t hurt, and that she should try it.
So she did.
Which goes to show, he who pees first, laughs last.
(We’ve heard there are videos of folks peeing on electric fencing up on the internet, but we’re sure that is something you can fact check for yourself, if you are eager to get the visual.)
Mine is about one of my adventures in electric fencing from the days I was working with goats. One of my colleagues set up the fence, and my job was to haul our 50 goats the 2 hours down to the site and put them in their new pastures. When we got there, the goats walked right through the 5 polywire fence without flinching once. My co-worker had forgotten to charge the battery for that particular solar charger. So he ran to get a charged battery, while I rounded up the goats and tried to hold them in place.
I was a little peeved, (actually a LOT peeved) and got more so as I watched goats and people touch the nowThis week, we supposedly charged fence without any consequences. I was sitting next to the fence with my legs dangling off a 12 foot drop that ended at the dirt road where the truck and trailer were sitting. “There it works!” said my friend as I watched another goat press his nose against the fence.
“No it doesn’t!” I yelled as I grabbed onto the metal t-post and a strand of the fence. Which is when the fence pulsed, about 7000 volts, which caused me to fly off the embankment with a HUGE scream, and land, laughing in the road. And of course everyone else laughed too.
Which goes to show that fence testers are good to have, and that getting pissed is always bad news.
What’s your story? Share it in the comments below to add to the laughter and the safety of everyone working with electric fence.