You are here:  Home  >  Pasture Health  >  Forage  >  Current Article

Let’s Waste Grass With Jim Gerrish – Part 1

By   /  April 9, 2018  /  9 Comments

This piece is drawn from a presentation Jim Gerrish did in 2015 sponsored by the Iowa Beef Center. W
Click here to subscribe or log in to read the rest of this content.

You can sign up to read 3 articles a month for free, or choose a monthly or annual subscription to get all 7 new articles a week, read the over 2,500 articles in our archives, and get free bonus content!

On Pasture is the most read grazing publication in the world! And, at just 16¢ a day, it's a bargain!

Publisher, Editor and Author

Kathy worked with the Bureau of Land Management for 12 years before founding Livestock for Landscapes in 2004. Her twelve years at the agency allowed her to pursue her goal of helping communities find ways to live profitably AND sustainably in their environment. She has been researching and working with livestock as a land management tool for over a decade. When she's not helping farmers, ranchers and land managers on-site, she writes articles, and books, and edits videos to help others turn their livestock into landscape managers.

1. Terron says:

I have noticed with my own livestock (mainly cattle) they will let me know when they feel like they are working too hard to feed their rumen. It is interesting to me that even our highly domestic livestock still remember the way things used to be when there were no fences, and they were left to manage themselves. When a wise steward pays close attention to their animals, and follows correct principles it is often that the correct time to move coincides. Grazers don’t want to ruin their source of survival any more than an adept Grazier does. Animals are smart but they can’t move fences properly.

2. Milan Steiner says:

I’m with Kent.

I am in north central Ohio and deal with the same issue. It doesn’t seem to matter how big of an area or how long I leave the herd there I always end up with clumps of 6-12″ K31 fescue and spots that are taken clear down to 1″ or less. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem and been able to “fix” it? I am not working with a large herd (10 units or so) and I have often wondered if that is the issue?

• Eric N says:

And my cows won’t touch weeds like thistle until the grass is down a good bit. How do you get your cows to eat everything at once to 6 inches? My pasture has a lot of variety, and favorite plants are eaten first, typically to excess.

• Jim Gerrish says:

Milan,

I’ll agree it is much easier to accomplish appropriate grazing with larger herds than with a small group like you have. A big part of the difference is simply the space in which the herd operates.

When we were in MO we ran around 60-80 cow-calf pairs in the herd and we had good success at getting uniform grazing on daily rotations. Less so on 3-4 day grazing periods. We commonly grazed between 40000-80000 lbs/acre stock density. That meant paddock size was 1 to 2.5 acres

In ID we are generally running 400-500+ pairs in the herd and graze at 50000-90000 lbs/acre stock density. Paddocks are commonly 5-8 acres.

If you have 10 pairs, the paddock is probably in the .1 to .25 acres if you are doing daily rotation.

Our 500 pairs on 6 acers can move as a herd, expanding and contracting the herd density as they move through the pasture. With a small herd, I think herd function completely breaks down and that is why it is so hard to accomplish excellent grazing results on a very small farm compared to ranch scale operations.

30 years ago I thought MiG was a strategy that would work equally well at any scale of operation. Over the years I have learned that it definitely favors larger operations.

Jim

• Patrick Tobola says:

I have been learning and applying Proper Stockmanship as formulated by Bud Williams for nearly three years. This spring my two herds of approximately 35 pairs each have started grazing more closely as a herd and they seem to be taking one bite and moving on in large pastures and utilizing more of the area and started including brush and blackberry and some weeds in their diet. I still have tall clumps of certain species where the sward is mixed but on more uniform swards it looks like a lawnmower has gone over it with a 4-6″ stubble height. They continue this behavior even when occasionally confined to Bermuda grass paddocks as small as 4 acres.

I am currently working with a 12 pair herd for another owner that has started to behave in a similar manner on 20 acre pastures.

I think the trick is to get them to behave as a herd using Proper Stockmanship and they will start grazing better.

3. Kent Hanawalt says:

My cows don’t start politety eating at the end of the leaf and slowly eat it down – they grab a clump with their tongue and pull it all off at once. There’s never a 3″ residual – only a rough and uneven patchwork.

• Jim Gerrish says:

Hi Kent,
      I would ask how long are your grazing periods?

In productive environments, we move stock daily. Our expectation is for the cattle to take a single bite from a plant and then move on.

We are not looking for a residual that looks like it was mown. If you end up with a very uniform residual starting from an irregular height pasture, individual animal performance will be suffering.
      Because we work primarily with diverse pasture mixtures, the sward surface at the beginning of the grazing period is irregular in height, we expect the residual to be irregular as well. It might vary from 3-7″.
      We don’t want the lowest grazed plants to be shorter than 3-5″.
      Adjust the stock density to create the residual desired.

Perennial ryegrass and bluegrass swards will end up being shorter.

Jim Gerrish

4. Ray Murphy says:

Love the idea but I have sheep which like much shorter grass. Also, I am very envious of your land prices. Where I live in Wales in UK the cost is $11,000 to $15,000 an acre! Enjoy what you have!

• Jim Gerrish says:

Hi Ray,

The residual concept is really more about solar energy capture than height, per se.

Leaving the pasture when it still has enough leaf cover to intercept at least 40-50% of incident solar radiation is the appropriate residual. In the case of your much shorter sheep pastures, maintaining ground cover is the key.

I have been in much of the UK, NZ, & Ireland and I have seen way too many pastures grazed down too short to maintain adequate solar interception. In my view, the notion that sheep ‘require’ much shorter pastures is an excuse, not a reason for overly severe grazing.

Regarding land prices, there are plenty of places in the US where land prices are $10,000/acre and much, much higher, but there are also many places where they are lower.

The $3000-$4000/acre price for irrigated land in our valley is because we are 60 km from the nearest town, there is no actual town in our valley which is 150 km long, and there is not a paved road that runs all the way through the valley. Move to the next valley over the mountain range where there is a town and paved roads, the price for the same type of land will be $8000-$12000/acre.

Jim Gerrish