You are here:  Home  >  Money Matters  >  Current Article

Drought Recovery Assistance

By   /  July 25, 2016  /  Comments Off on Drought Recovery Assistance

Not getting the moisture you need? USDA Farm Service Agency can’t send rain, but they can help with the monetary impacts.

    Print       Email

drought-7591Different parts of the country are having different levels of precipitation. If you’re in one of the areas that isn’t getting the moisture you need, you’ll want to know about these programs from the USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA). This agency offers disaster assistance programs to assist agricultural producers in their recovery efforts following drought or similar qualifying natural disasters. Available programs include:

Non-Insured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP)

Provides financial assistance to producers of non-insurable crops when low yields, loss of inventory, or prevented planting occur due to natural disasters (includes native grass for grazing). Eligible producers must have purchased NAP coverage for 2016 crops. Producers must file form CCC-576, Notice of Loss, as soon as the loss becomes apparent.

Livestock Forage Disaster Assistance Program (LFP)

Provides compensation to eligible livestock producers who have suffered grazing losses for covered livestock on land that is native or improved pastureland with permanent vegetative cover or is planted specifically for grazing. Eligible producers must complete form CCC-853, Livestock Forage Disaster Program Application.

Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP)

Provides emergency relief for losses due to feed or water shortages, disease, adverse weather, or other conditions, which are not adequately addressed by other disaster programs. Producers must submit a notice of loss to their local FSA office within 30 calendar days of when the loss is apparent and complete form CCC-851, Emergency Loss Assistance for Livestock Application.

Emergency Conservation Program (ECP)

Provides emergency funding for farmers and ranchers to rehabilitate land severely damaged by natural disasters and to implement emergency water conservation measures in periods of severe drought. Submit an application at your local FSA office.

Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) Emergency Haying and Grazing

Authorized to provide relief to livestock producers in areas affected by a severe drought or similar natural disaster on qualifying CRP acres. Acreage reports (CCC-578) must be complete in order to meet eligibility requirements for disaster assistance programs.

For more information on these programs, visit www.fsa.usda.gov.  To find a local FSA office near you, visit http://offices.usda.gov. You can contact your local FSA Office with questions and assistance on these programs.





    Print       Email
  • Published: 5 years ago on July 25, 2016
  • By:
  • Last Modified: July 25, 2016 @ 11:13 am
  • Filed Under: Money Matters

About the author

Publisher, Editor and Author

Kathy worked with the Bureau of Land Management for 12 years before founding Livestock for Landscapes in 2004. Her twelve years at the agency allowed her to pursue her goal of helping communities find ways to live profitably AND sustainably in their environment. She has been researching and working with livestock as a land management tool for over a decade. When she's not helping farmers, ranchers and land managers on-site, she writes articles, and books, and edits videos to help others turn their livestock into landscape managers.

You might also like...

Should You Diversify? Or Is There Beauty in Simplicity?

Read More →
Translate »