Site icon On Pasture

Drought Recovery Assistance

drought-7591Different parts of the country are having different levels of precipitation. If you’re in one of the areas that isn’t getting the moisture you need, you’ll want to know about these programs from the USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA). This agency offers disaster assistance programs to assist agricultural producers in their recovery efforts following drought or similar qualifying natural disasters. Available programs include:

Non-Insured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP)

Provides financial assistance to producers of non-insurable crops when low yields, loss of inventory, or prevented planting occur due to natural disasters (includes native grass for grazing). Eligible producers must have purchased NAP coverage for 2016 crops. Producers must file form CCC-576, Notice of Loss, as soon as the loss becomes apparent.

Livestock Forage Disaster Assistance Program (LFP)

Provides compensation to eligible livestock producers who have suffered grazing losses for covered livestock on land that is native or improved pastureland with permanent vegetative cover or is planted specifically for grazing. Eligible producers must complete form CCC-853, Livestock Forage Disaster Program Application.

Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP)

Provides emergency relief for losses due to feed or water shortages, disease, adverse weather, or other conditions, which are not adequately addressed by other disaster programs. Producers must submit a notice of loss to their local FSA office within 30 calendar days of when the loss is apparent and complete form CCC-851, Emergency Loss Assistance for Livestock Application.

Emergency Conservation Program (ECP)

Provides emergency funding for farmers and ranchers to rehabilitate land severely damaged by natural disasters and to implement emergency water conservation measures in periods of severe drought. Submit an application at your local FSA office.

Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) Emergency Haying and Grazing

Authorized to provide relief to livestock producers in areas affected by a severe drought or similar natural disaster on qualifying CRP acres. Acreage reports (CCC-578) must be complete in order to meet eligibility requirements for disaster assistance programs.

For more information on these programs, visit  To find a local FSA office near you, visit You can contact your local FSA Office with questions and assistance on these programs.





Exit mobile version