You are here:  Home  >  The Scoop  >  Current Article

What is the True Meaning of Grazing?

By   /  November 30, 2020  /  10 Comments

Management Consultant, Peter Drucker said, “Follow effective action with quiet reflection. From th
  • Published: 4 months ago on November 30, 2020
  • By:
  • Last Modified: December 1, 2020 @ 8:08 am
  • Filed Under: The Scoop

contributor

Troy Bishopp, aka “The Grass Whisperer” is a seasoned grazier and grasslands advocate who owns, manages and linger-grazes at Bishopp Family Farm in Deansboro, NY with his understanding wife, daughters, grandchildren and parents. Their certified organic custom grazing operation raise dairy heifers, grass-finished beef and backgrounds feeder cattle on 180 acres of owned and leased pastures. Troy also mentors farmers on holistic land management for the Madison County Soil and Water Conservation District and the Upper Susquehanna Coalition as their regional grazing specialist. This award-winning free-lance writer, essayist and photographer maintains a website presence at www.thegrasswhisperer.com

1. SHERRIE OTTINGER says:

All I’ve got is…wow!! Started out reading a grazing story and got a bucket full of tears, because of love. Thank you! Oh! You’re a writer that needs to keep writing!!
    Thank you for your article and family.

2. Melissa Dodd says:

A wonderful story and food for thought. Thank you.

• Troy Bishopp says:

Thank you Miss Melissa for taking the time to read my prose and for the compliment; something a farmer/writer needs from time to time. Happy Holidays and thanks for supporting Kathy at OnPasture. GW

3. john marble says:

Ok. I made it through the first reading and watching, and then the second. On the third, we both broke down in heart-felt sobs.

You are a wonderful father and a thoughtful man. I admire your writing, as always. But this goes way, way beyond that.

Most sincerely yours,

John

• Troy Bishopp says:

Good Evening Young Man, I appreciate your sentiment very much and am always inspired by your poignant stories. A little birdie told me that some wine may have helped purge some tears. And you have every right to tear up with all you’ve been through in your community.
      But through storytelling, sharing our real-life experiences and possibly purging or riffing, we continue to persevere. We must keep showing up, and every once in awhile there is something so profound we get the chance to inspire emotional connection with others. I’d like to suggest, it’s just paying it forward. Thank you for your kindness. Sincerely, GW

4. Terron Pickett says:

Mr. “Grass Whisperers”, Bishopp
    Even though it sounds like you have been able to look beyond the grass getting too rank, and come back round to looking at the bright side. I think that if my daughter was getting married and the though of her leaving would have me out of sorts too, this may be the underlying reason that you let the grass get too rank, you had something more valuable and important to occupy your mind and thoughts for the past little while.
    Thank you for the article!

• Troy Bishopp says:

Thank you Terron for taking the time to show your appreciation for my reality writing. The truth is the grass was rank but it took a wedding to realize how much underlying beauty we are actually creating. Sometimes the notion comes just when you need it. Funny how that happens. Happy Holidays GW

5. Curt Gesch says:

Thank you for your ruminations and sharing your changing responses to things. This is one of the most moving pieces of “farming” writing I have ever read. (It’s really Socrates’ dictum–“the unexamined life is not worth living”–accepted and applied.

Thank you, too, for allowing us vicarious presence at the happy event.

P.S.: May I quote the paragraph, “The ultimate goal. . . ” in my farming newsletter?

• Troy Bishopp says:

Dear Curt, Your words floored me. And to me, words do matter. I thank you for such kind ones. I will take this praise and try to work on stories where there’s emotion and not just production. Maybe “emotional production”.
      I guess since I’m revamping my website, a must-have testimonial of this magnitude will be showing up on my page.

Yes, use my quote and share with me when it gets posted.

Thanks so much for taking the time to put alittle spring in my step today. Peace and Joy be with you. GW

Are You Suffering From “Things-Farmers-Never-Tell You?”